Friday, July 31, 2009

Flower Pressing


I had a flower press when I was a kid. From time to time, I'd unscrew the knobs and look through the different layers to see all the paper thin memories from summers' past. Many of the flowers and leaves that I'd pressed were from my neighborhood walks and from my backyard. This year, my oldest son and I plan to press some flowers from our backyard garden.

If you's like to press flowers with your child, you will need:
*tissue or blotting paper (construction paper can also work)
*cardboard
*large, heavy books for pressing
*an assortment of flowers and leaves

Lay a sheet of tissue paper over a piece of cardboard. Arrange your flowers and leaves on the tissue. It's also fun to include a small note tucked in with the flowers detailing where they came from to help your child remember what you collected and why. Cover with another sheet of tissue paper, a piece of cardboard and a very heavy book (or two). Leave pressed for at least two weeks and up to six months. The longer the press, the better the preservation.





No comments: